Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Breakthroughs...

I feel like I made a breakthrough yesterday...a breakthrough of myself. I love the book, "Cure for the Common Life" by Max Lucado. God has used this book to change my life and how I go about "doing" life. I've read it several times, but last night I picked it up and thumbed thru it...I landed at Chapter 6...Take Big Risks for God...

It's amazing how God uses things to hit me square between the eyes. This chapter was talking about the parable of the master giving the talents to the servants...and how two of the three servants was a good steward of those talents...but the last servant did nothing. Well, I've heard this story for years--back when I was a child--but the light went on last night while reading this chapter. The sin of the servant was that He DID NOTHING...nothing with what the master had given him. NOT ONE THING. I hate to admit it but I've been that servant...for years that's been me. I'VE DONE NOTHING. But in the last few months, I've been convicted of this...I've felt a burden that we are all given gifts (I know I've talked about it a lot) and we are to use those not just for ourselves...but for God's glory. With this project I'll admit I feel so overwhelmed and not prepared for what I feel like God is leading me to do...I've been scared to death...I've been scared because I want so much for this to reach people and touch their lives...but do you see the problem here? Even though what I want is good, it's about me and what I WANT...MY EXPECTATIONS...when the master praised the servants, he said "Well done my good and faithful servant" I'm taking this from Max's words (yes, I'm on a first name basis :0) joking)...he didn't say, "Well done my good and flashy servant"...he didn't say "Well done my good and famous servant"...he didn't even say "Well done my good and FRUITFUL servant"...just good and FAITHFUL servant. Right now I'm doing pretty good with being faithful in this...but I can guarantee you that in 30 minutes I'll be on my knees praying for faith. These waves are big, but God is bigger...and I just want to be able to stand before Him and here Him say that I was faithful in the talents He gave. I just want to be available in whatever way He has planned...I guess bottom line for that is that I need to get out of the way of myself.

I know I just preached a sermon...I apologize, but I feel so convicted of this and I hope it has, if anything, stirred up in your own hearts what talents you've been given and how are you using those? I highly recommend the book "Cure for the Common Life"...it's an excellent resource if you're trying to figure out what God wants to do with you!

By the way, I've found a company here in Nashville that assists non-profits with start ups. I have my list and step by step things are getting checked off. Let me just say there are lots of paperwork involved! But I feel good that we're heading in the right direction. Please keep praying and if you want to be involved jet me an email!

Talk to ya'll later.

0 comments: