Friday, September 12, 2008

Childhood Cancer Awareness

First of all I want to update ya'll on Maddie. I am so excited to tell you that her results came back even better than they had hoped!!! There were no signs of leukemia in the bone marrow so the transplant is a go. I have no medical knowledge whatsoever, so I don't know what it all means but I do know it's great news...so thank you for praying for this precious little girl!!!

September is childhood cancer awareness month. There's a blog a I read of a family that has a 4 year old battling cancer which he has been fighting for the last 2 years. His name is Coleman, and he's the newest hero to add to the list to pray for. You can keep up to date with his progress thru: www.carepages.com/carepages/ColemanScott You'll have to set up a login id and password, but it's worth the extra minute it takes. Read the September 11th update part 1. It's remarkable. I learned two new things about cancer today....1st...only one new drug has been released for pediatric cancer in the last 20 years....yep, that's right--20 years!! Also, only 3% of funding goes to research for curing pediatric cancer....3%. Are you outraged?? I am...so what can we do?

We HAVE to take a stand...we can't assume someone else is going to pick up the slack...it is up to us not just to stand against cancer BUT to stand up for our children!! Please go to this link and sign this petition to get more dollars generated for pediatric cancer research. http://www.thepetitionsite.com/1/CureChildhoodCancer

And keep praying for these kids--all of them that are fighting this disease... but especially for Maddie and Coleman who are fighting. We cannot be complacent....just like we will never forget 9/11...we should never forget the war going on in the lives of these families with children battling cancer.

One last thing to note, I am looking at possibly hosting a silent auction in November to raise money for The Common Bond. I figure we might be able to raise it faster if we do an event versus selling bracelets one by one. People have asked how they can help...so here it is:

  • If you have ever held a fundraising event like this--call me...email me..get a hold of me so that I can get some ideas of how to go about executing this If you want to help with planning this event...please jump in...I need all the help I can get (no smart comments!!)

  • Buy a bracelet...or 2...or 3...the more we sell the more we have. I'm hoping to start sending $100 to assist with food and gas costs. In order to do that, I have to start generating some funds thru this jewelry. The bracelets are $50 a piece, plus $3 shipping. (If you know me from church, work, etc...then there's no shipping--I'll deliver them.) If you can't purchase the bracelet...I completely understand...but keep praying that we can get some sold. God can do anything and I'm counting on Him to make me overloaded with bracelet orders!

  • If you feel led to donate towards getting our 501 (c) 3 I would be more than happy to accept your money. :) Just kidding...kind of...but seriously, pray about it and if this is something you want to be involved in at that level let me know. (No pressure, but I thought I'd throw it out there)

  • And of course, the most important thing...pray for the kids and families we list on the blog. Pray whenever they come to your mind even if it's 20 times a day. Pray for miracles, cures, peace, encouragement, comfort, the list goes on...but never stop praying.

Thanks, I know it was a long one...but it's been a while since I've posted. :)

0 comments: